Thursday, June 6, 2013

The Summer Kitchen

I have to tell ya, ever since we bought this place people have been saying that it was part of the Underground Railroad. I am not from around here so I am not familiar with all of the stories. Well, one newspaper article and a few stories later I was starting to believe. Then, Suzy, my step mother-in-law and I carefully removed one of the super heavy round "lids" that are in the floor of the summer kitchen. And guess what??? There was a huge room down there! As I leaned in to get a better look.....my camera lens cover fell in! Next thing I know....
Summer Kitchen (Door on the Right)


"Front" of Summer Kitchen

Wooden ladder that goes down into room
Me....going in!



I am going in. 
It is hard to believe that they wouldn't have at least tried to hide a few people down there. I am 5'4" and i could stand up down there. 
It does lend to the mystery for sure....I will let you decide?


2 comments:

  1. Very intriguing indeed, however, as I recall, your house was built around 1890. The Underground Railroad was in operation before and during the Civil War which ended in 1865, It doesn't make sense that the room under your summer kitchen is part of the Underground Railroad seeing as how it wasn't even built until 30 years after the Civil War.

    Perhaps it was merely a root cellar and a place to store other food...this was a very common practice as underground rooms provided a cool place to keep veggies and other food fresher than if it was exposed to the hot, humid Indiana summers!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Dina, Yes you are right. The house dates around 1886, but the summer kitchen has been on the property for quite some time. As I understand it, they built the summer kitchen in order to live on the property while the main house was being built. As I mentioned in my post, I do not have any real proof but it sure is fun to speculate about what stories these rooms could tell.

      Delete